Some of the Tribe

Some of the Tribe
Keawe's Baptism

All 7 of us Kids with our kids

All 7 of us Kids with our kids
No Parents, just kids

Friday, June 28, 2013

Dad has a Stroke

Mom called me on Friday, June 28th and said, Tonya I think dad had a stroke during the night. She said that when she woke up and went into the bathroom when she came out she glanced over at my dad and his head was tilted differently, so she went over and said, "Clay, good morning are you ok?" He didn't respond and he looked different. She would know because she is with him 24/7. So she went to the nurses station and told them that she thought that he might have had a stroke. They told her, "Irene, he is really exhausted from vomitting and not getting much sleep" then she demanded that they come and see. That happened at 5:30am and she was calling me at 7:15am and she was waiting for them to come get him and have some tests run to see if he did have a stroke. Well I left my house immediately, I live about 20 minutes from the hospital, so when I arrived I came into my dad's room and came to my dad and said, "Good morning dad, what's going on?" He said, "I'm fine but very tired." I asked my mom what the tests results were and she said that they haven't come to get him yet. My eyes bugged out of my head and I walked out of the room and had a fit with the nurses. I said, "There are commercials teaching people how to recognize the first signs of stroke and to immediately get them to a hospital, but because my dad is already in a hospital, we are ok to just let him sit and wait? It's been since 5:30am when my mom came to the nurses station first and now its 8:00am and who knows when he had it, but the time that we know its been 2:30 hours and my dad still hasn't been tested!!" Right then the nurse said, "We just called RAPID RESPONSE so they should be there. I asked, "What's Rapid Response?" They said it was just above code blue. Before I could do anymore yelling they were going into dad's room and I rushed in there. They took him to radiology to see if there was any clots or bleeding on the brain. As soon as they wheeled him into the room we waited outside the door and dropped to our knees right there in the hallway of the hospital and prayed to Our Heavenly Father to please help our father. He has been through so much and finally when we thought he was getting a little better something else happens to him. 
Mom kissing him "See You Later, I'll be right here waiting"
This was dad before they took him into the xray room. Bryan and Joe gave dad a blessing while the nurse was waiting for the OK to do the TPA and x-ray. I am so grateful for the opportunities to watch the priesthood in action and know that these men are men of God who are worthy.
They moved dad into the ICU and he was on so many different things and tubes and monitors.
 
Dad and his brother and sister and mom and Aunty Joyce and Uncle Sale and Max.
Us kids slept in the waiting room and took shifts every hour to watch over our dad while mom slept.  Dad had an oxygen mask on over his nose and mouth, but there was a time that Dad was telling me to take it off. I got his nurse and he removed it and my dad showed him that the water was condescending and dripping in his mouth and making him gag. So the nurse dried it out and cleaned it really well.
The Dr.'s said that dad doesn't have any feeling on the left side of his body, face, organs, etc. So his eyes would tend to fall to the right side, so they put this hat on him to give him a blinder and make him use his eyes on the left side.    
Just the 7 of us and mom, Sunday Morning having a morning prayer and family meeting about dad.
Dad was sooo happy to see his sister and brother.  He gave them some older brotherly advice.

It's been a LONG weekend!! We are all FINALLY together. The Original 7 and Mom & Dad @ 3am

No comments:

Post a Comment