Some of the Tribe

Some of the Tribe
Keawe's Baptism

All 7 of us Kids with our kids

All 7 of us Kids with our kids
No Parents, just kids

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Joe’s Favorite Christmas Memories of Dad 12-11-2013

As a young boy when I was between the ages of 5 – 13 years old,
I remember I loved going to Dad’s Christmas work party that he would always be so excited to take our whole family to at the Shrine Auditorium.  Dad would make sure we had the best seats to watch the different acts, and the Disney cartoon movie, the magic show and hear the singing, and then after we were led on stage to sit on Santa’s lap and get a toy.  I got my first remote control car that I always wanted from Dad’s work party!  I will never forget how happy Dad’s face was to see all of his kids so excited to go to his work party.  He was very outgoing and loved to see our expressions!  As a young boy, I never forget these times!  

As time passed on, as a young man growing up, I remember receiving a special gift from Mom and Dad, who are both Spiritual Giants!  It was a gift I will always cherish and yet did not expect; this gift demonstrated to me what was truly important to Mom and Dad and something that I would come to appreciate more and more as I grew up;  it was my first set of scriptures I got from Mom and Dad, with their testimony written inside. Those words written inside my scriptures seem to mean more now, than they did back then.  I can see now that all that Dad was and is, was because he endured a lot growing up, and learned to appreciate the blessings because of the struggles.  I remember Dad always saying how he was grateful for his trials and obstacles.  I would say to myself….what?  I soon learned the truth of this thought that I love, “The pursuit of easy things makes men weak.”  It reminded me why Dad was so strong, not just physically, but spiritually too.  I will always remember Dad teaching us…his boys at the foot of his bed, while we stood in line from oldest to youngest, and he would counsel us to be Humble, respect the priesthood, be the first to demonstrate chivalry and respect to the elderly, women and others. Even though Dad was a big man physically, these lessons stood out in my mind which I soon saw Dad as a Giant among men spiritually.
The greatest Christmas gift I’ve received from Mom and Dad was the lesson of leadership as a patriarch, and bringing family together to create unity within the family as time goes on.  Dad seemed to see the competitive nature with all of his kids which he saw as great, but also destructive…and I believe Dad’s counsel to his boys …to be humble was not intended for his boys to the world, but his boys to each other.  Dad impressed the mantle of leadership on each of his kids, with a disclaimer in his counsel…be Humble.  His leadership as a patriarch is the greatest lesson I will hold dear to live up to the rest of my life.  I know Dad’s Christmas now is more merry than anything we can imagine, simply because he has More of Christ than we do, and yet as I love more…I will feel more of Christ, and more of Dad! 

 Mom, I want you to know that I Love YOU….and you have incredible significance to me and my life, as well as my wife and kids.  I make this Christmas promise to you so everyone can see, to hold me accountable to the words spoken herein.  I will do all that I can do to take care of you.  I LOVE YOU MOM!! 

Mom, have a Merry ChristMas & I know you’ll have a Merry DadMas! 

Mele Kaliki Maka & Haolei Maka Hiki Ho !!

With Love & Aloha,
Joe & Janette AhQuin Family
J.T AhQuin, Janessa AhQuin, Tristan AhQuin, and Joelle AhQuin 

No comments:

Post a Comment